Here is a great recipe for gingerbreads, a must every Christmas in Sweden at least! And preferably with some royal icing on top!INGREDIENTS
250 gram butter
4 dl sugar
2 dl golden syrup (in sweden we use ljus sirap, it is like Lloyd’s golden syrup, or treacle)
1 tablespoon bicarbonate
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon ground cardamon
2 dl water
13 dl plain flour, and extra for rolling out
- Melt the butter together with the golden syrup.
- Add all the herbs and the sugar into a big mixing bowl and stir.
- Add the melted butter mix and stir until it is all mixed
- Pour in the water and mix it all again.
- Let the mixture cool down for a while.
- Mix the plain flour with the bicarbonate and add to the dough.
- Put the dough in a plastic bag in the fridge for a day or two.
- Time to bake, preheat the oven to 200 C. Line some baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add the dough to a lightly floured countertop and knead the dough before you roll it out with a rolling pin. The dough should be pretty thin. Use gingerbread cookie shapes to cut.
- Bake for 3-5 minutes depending on the size of the gingerbread cookies.
- I always add Royal Icing to most of them. If you do so, let the gingerbread cool down first. Here is a recipe for royal icing: Royal Icing Recipe
Recipe and photo Malin Nordblom, Fab Foodie Swede
If you wan’t to use the photos please e-mail me first at firstname.lastname@example.org