Daniel Berlin is running a 2 star restaurant in Skåne Tranås with his own name.
He worked at a few other restaurants before he started his own place, Gastro in Helsingborg, Petri Pumpa and Torso Twisted in Malmö. I asked him some questions:
Do you prefer vegetarian food, meat or fish?
– Vegetarian. Running a restaurant I feel responsible to get people to eat more vegetables.
What are you most proud of?
– Without any doubt that I opened up this restaurant.
Is there any food you don’t like?
– I do not eat too spicy food, but that depends on situation. And I don’t like food that doesn’t fit in at the moment, and if you’re at a nicer restaurant it’s important that the food goes with the restaurant. It should be a total experience of food and place.
Do you use cookbooks?
– I don’t use them but I look in them.
Your favourite food country?
Could you tell us the best food experience you ever had?
– My first visit to Noma in 2007 was the first big food experience I ever had.
What gives you inspiration?
– Tomas Dreinjing (atPetri Pumpa in Malmö) inspired me a lot. But everyone that works at the restaurant, my family, life, well everything that’s around me actually inspires me.
Your favourite kitchen gadget?
– That must be my tasting spoons. I am tasting so much different food and I cannot live without them.
What would you like to learn to cook?
– I would like to cook seafood better.
Do you have any good story from the restaurant?
– Sometimes we get a power cut in the winter. And then we all wear headlamps at the restaurant, and all the guest are gathering around the fire. It’s a fantastic experience and totally different to anything else.
Interview and photo by Malin Nordblom
The interview was first published in Swedish at https://gourmet.se/gourmets-snabba-fragor/daniel-berlin/
Text and photo Malin Nordblom
Fab Foodie Swede
If you wan’t to use the content or photos please contact: